Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Annie-Bananie

When I was in seventh grade, I begged Dad to let me get a puppy. Finally he capitulated and we began the search. We went to several rescue facilities before ending up at a puppy store. I think we were in Peoria, but can't really remember. Margo, Kyle, Dad, and I were there. When we walked in, I went right to Annie. She was the smallest (before teacup and kitten-size dogs were popular really) and adorable. She slept in my arms and I had to have her. Margo and Kyle tried to convince me to get one of the more enthusiastic puppies; but, I had my heart set on Annie. (Little did we know how much energy Annie would actually have.) They ended up getting a beagle-dachshund mix that they named Beagle Bailey.

While I was at my dad's house, I kept Annie inside. She had a little crate by my bed and would always wake me up in the middle of the night to let her outside. When I wasn't at my dad's house, she stayed outside. She was only about 7 pounds and within a month or so was stepped on by one of our family's Rhodesian ridgebacks. Her leg was broken. For her recuperation, she was relocated to my mom's... where she stayed. She spent the next couple months in casts--I think pink first and then purple. This tiny little dog would take off out the doggie door barking her leg stuck straight out in its hard cast. From then on, whenever she squatted, out went her leg in this bizarre balancing act.

Our family has many wonderful memories of Annie. She had many nicknames-- Annie-Bananie, Muffinhead, and Annie Jordan come to mind. The last name came from her puppy leaps from couch to couch.

Annie was always there, letting you pet her and comforting you when you were sad. She was the backdrop for so many of our important events-- graduations (middle school to college), birthdays, Halloween, Christmases, Thanksgivings, new houses, getting ready for Kyle and Tracy's wedding, and I'm sure more. John remembers this: "I enjoyed her from the first moment I met her and lifted her onto the counter; receiving a sharp rebuke from Lindsey and an indication that my actions were entirely inappropriate and would not be looked on fondly by Valerie. I will always remember her fondly." She was a sweet, sweet girl.

Over the past 5-10 years, Annie's health has declined. Cataracts clouded her eyes, but she never lost her spunk, enthusiasm, or sweetness. Despite constant efforts, Annie's health has failed over the past year. Today, Mom and Kerry had to put Annie to sleep--Mom shared-We said our final goodbye to our sweet Annie today. We'll always remember her funny little face and the best attitude a dog could have. Rest well little one.

2 comments:

  1. That first picture should be captioned "squirrel!!"...Annie and Lucy had spied a squirrel in a tree. It was so amazing to see how well Annie negotiated up at the cabin even after she lost her sight. She'd wander around the yard until she found a sunny spot and lie down to enjoy it.

    If we could all have her great attitude in our declining years we'd be fortunate indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I wasn't able to experience the early years of annie, I can feel all of your deep love for her as well as the joy she brought to you. The thought of taro being gone is unbearable, I can imagine it was a very hard decision. I'm glad you wrote this post, not just for the fun memory of annie but also for offering an outlet of my emotions.

    ReplyDelete