Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fourth of July in Wyoming

The Fourth of July was our last day in Wyoming.

My big request for the trip had been to go for a horseback ride. It's been 3 years since I've ridden a horse (I last rode in Greer at a firm event with John at the Hidden Meadow Ranch). I've missed riding. Dad, Margo, Tracy, and I rode at South Fork Lodge (between Buffalo and our ranch) and all had a good time. We saw moose and a deer that chased the ranch dog, as well as beautiful views. That said, everyone was sore after the 2 hours.

We then met Uncle Brian and Grandpa in Ten Sleep--so named because of it's location 10 nights away from each of 2 important Sioux camps. There we saw the Ten Sleep rodeo. The rodeo was a small town affair. It was particularly fun to see the kids do the barrel races. We also took a picture in front of "Dirty Sally's"--a famous souvenir shop in Ten Sleep. (Although I did comment that, a name like Dirty Sally's isn't really funny if it's actually dirty.)






























After the rodeo, we headed back to Casper. We stopped in Thermopolis--home of Hot Springs State Park. I always imagined the hot springs were holes in the ground that you sat in and relaxed; but, they were actually pools filled with the water. There were even water slides! When we got into Casper, we went to On the Border for an epically bad dining experience.

We went back to our hotel after dinner. Tracy and I watched the fireworks from our hotel room window. It was a great, long show and a wonderful way to end the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment