Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Crockpot Enchiladas

[Okay... so I have holiday updates... the bottom line is, we had a wonderful time. But, if I keep waiting to have time to type in my winter break thoughts, I'm never posting again. I've decided to just move on... and hopefully, at some point, come back.]

John did our re-stock shopping at COSTCO on Sunday. He picked up a large package of ground beef. We, of course, made hamburgers; but, needed other things to do with the meat. I poked around online and found this recipe:

CROCK POT TIJUANA PIE
Printed from COOKS.COM


Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,171,155176-243207,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3-4 c. grated cheese
1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
1 (8 oz.) tomato sauce
2 (16 oz.) cans chili beans
1 (16 oz.) can corn, drained
1 (6 oz.) can pitted olives, drained
6 corn or flour tortillas (size depends on size of crock pot)
Brown beef, onion, garlic, and seasonings. Wipe inside crock pot with oil. Place 1 tortilla in bottom. Spoon on meat mix a little sauce and cheese. Top with another tortilla and layer on a bean, cheese and corn section. Drop in a few olives. Continue layers, ending with cheese and olive top. Cover and cook low 5-7 hours. Serve with additional hot tortillas.

I didn't have all of these ingredients, but used this recipe to come up with my own concoction. It was DELICIOUS! We will definitely make it again.

First, I cooked about a pound of meat in a skillet with taco seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of ketchup and Worcestershire. When it was cooked completely, I drained off all the grease.

Second, I emptied a standard can of refried beans and a large can of enchilada sauce into a bowl. I then added the ground beef and stirred all of this together.

I prepared my crockpot with a thin layer of olive oil on the bottom (just enought to coat) and then sprayed the sides with PAM.

Finally, I put a layer of tortillas (1/2 of a very large tortilla plus a bit extra-- I just did a thin layer of tortillas, but you could probably double up), then a layer of the sauce (the enchilada sauce, beans, and beef mixture), and a layer of cheese. I repeated this-- another layer of tortillas, sauce, and cheese-- 2 more times, ending with cheese on top.

My choices for cooking were 9 hours on low or 2.5 hours on high. So, I went the 2.5 hour route. I left it in the fridge overnight and all day. Then, when John got home about 5- 5:30pm, he put it in the slow cooker on high. After about an hour, it still wasn't cooked--just melting at the edges. I cut it into sixths-- this worked well for scooping later and helped it cook. After another hour it was bubbly and delicious. If you like it crispier, you can let it cook longer. Yum :)

2 comments:

  1. Mom used to make something VERY similar to this - it was called Tamale Pie. The biggest difference was, that instead of using tortillas, you'd top with dollops of (already mixed) cornbread mix. It was yummy too!

    ReplyDelete