Sunday, June 27, 2010

Spiders and Snakes



Growing up in Arizona, I know all about the scary critters to watch out for... rattlesnakes, recluses, scorpions, black widows... anyway, that's what comes to mind right now. HOWEVER, I had no idea what to be watching for here in Alaska. Could a deadly critter be lurking around the corner? I thought I better check!

And, to my relief, NO... there's only 1 poisonous spider... the Hobo Spider. (Apparently bites from spiders in the Callobius family sting, but don't cause problems.) Bites from Hobo Spiders are reported by about 5 people per year and generally don't cause major issues. So, phew.

The only major challenge is that the Hobo Spider looks very similar to the Giant House Spider. The former is bad and the latter is fine. The Hobo Spider is pictured on the left and the Giant House Spider on the right.

There are no native snakes in Alaska. This makes sense to me for all the cold blooded reasons you can think of; but, it's also bizarre.

I've never heard of poisonous birds... so, I'm going to assume that I'm in the clear ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment