Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Battle of the Books

I got wrangled into doing Battle of the Books for 3rd and 4th graders at our school. The students are responsible for reading at least 12 of 15 books. Of course, I haven't yet read any of them, but I started today with "Who is Walt Disney?" I'll let you know if these new books in the intermediate grade realm are any good ;)

Balto and the Great Race By Elizabeth Cody Kimmel
Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat By Lynne Jonell
Henry Huggins By Beverly Cleary
Honus and Me By Dan Gutman
Little Wolf's Book of Badness By Ian Whybrow
Magic Pretzel By Daniel Pinkwater
Marco? Polo By Jon Scieszka
Marvin Redpost: Kidnapped at Birth? By Louis Sachar
Maze of Bones By Rick Riordan
Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little By Peggy Gifford
Shipwreck on the Pirate Islands By Geronimo Stilton
Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest By John Lechner
Uncle Pirate By Douglas Rees
Who Was Walt Disney? By Whitney Stewart
Word Eater By Mary Amato

5 comments:

  1. Who was Walt Disney?

    According to Family Guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lizd6PdZ-x0

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1LlZ0nmOQo&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of my favorite children's authors are on the list...happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Brian sent me this exchange...
    ****
    From: Brian
    To: Riordan, Rick
    Subject: FW: [My Year in Alaska] Battle of the Books

    Rick, I got this email from my niece who is in Alaska this year teaching 2nd [sic-4th] grade. Have you been moonlighting?
    *****

    *****
    From: Riordan, Rick
    To: Brian
    Subject: RE: FW: [My Year in Alaska] Battle of the Books

    Wish I had that kind of talent. It is unusual to find the name spelled the same, and thus I do actually get some fan mail. He writes books targeted roughly at kids in the 11-15 age group...courtesy of my nephews I've actually read 3 of them. They are quite good, with a Greek mythology bend to the story line & recurring young heroes.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Rick Riordan

    *****

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any, but from the titles, I think I would choose "Magic Pretzel" or any of the Pirate novels. How fun!

    ReplyDelete