Tuesday, July 13, 2010

NY Times on Anchorage

Here is a slideshow on the "cool" side of Anchorage from the New York Times.

Updated at 9:35pm:

John and I decided to try the Cake Studio (slide 4). When we went in, John asked if they'd had a flood of newcomers since the New York Times article. She said, "Well, you know here and there." ...that seemed to be an odd response... I told her about how Pizzeria Bianco had gotten so, so busy after its Times review (and Oprah, but I omitted that). She laughed and said, "Really? I guess people read the New York Times all over, huh?"

Now that just seemed odd...

I said, "You know you were covered in the Times, right?"

"Well, yeah, the local Times," she said.

John and I clarified that, indeed, the Cake Studio was covered in the New York Times.

She was excited, but extremely skeptical (that kind of "uh-huh, whatever you say" nod). I told her I'd send the link... maybe now she'll really believe me ;)

2 comments:

  1. 2 things:

    1) maybe her excitement wasn't tempered by skepticism but by disdain for that liberal rag.

    2) i have to say that a food tour of anchorage is becoming more and more tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) doubtful... the downtown crowd is pretty liberal

    2) that and the opportunity to have Taro face-off with Hayden at agility training ;) Actually, food here is pretty darn tasty... plus my cooking has drastically improved

    ReplyDelete