Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Puppy Challenge Throw Down

Hayden has boundless energy that she really does a great job containing! John has (wisely) taken an interest in teaching Hayden to run an agility course. Our vet's office recommended Alyeska Canine Trainers. We have to start with the Beginner class, but plan to work our way up the ladder ;) to the Agility class.

Hayden's cousin, Taro, is already a puppy-school graduate. (Several times over, I believe.)

So...

Taro,

Hayden challenges you to be the first puppy to:

1. accurately (I have no idea what this entails) complete an agility course (Here's the information from ACT-- agility.)

AND

2. become an American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen (Here's the information from ACT--CGC.)

What do you think??? Bring it on??

Top picture is of Kyle and Taro; Bottom picture is of Hayden.

5 comments:

  1. We've done agility courses tons of times--but there's only the one in chandler. the other one's at a private ($35/year) dog park in Anthem. Taro can't clear one of the hurdles (too darned small), so we always jump the other hurdle twice. I think we need to agree on a course. I'm thinking 2 hurdles, 1 wait box, 2 tunnels and 2 other (determined by what's available, but cannot be any of the above).

    As for Canine Good Citizen... we'll do it only if we can modify it to Therapy Dog Int'l for us (which covers same material). See testing brochure: http://www.tdi-dog.org/images/TestingBrochure.pdf AKC/CGC testing doesn't do anything for us and I have no interest in giving AKC my money if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on! Details to be determined...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Hayden is sad because SHE doesn't have a graduation cap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, FYI I might be doing Delta instead, which has altogether different requirements (you can't be in both, if I recall correctly). There's no Delta testing in AK right now--sorry. But Delta stupidly banned pets who eat raw proteins from being members. We're considering other diets because Delta is that much better than Therapy Dog Int'l. So I'll let you know whether or not the second part of the test will work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these are both shaggy scruff mutts! ...that's the way i like em too! Agility courses are for uppity dogs; if Hayden can catch a squirrel, she's doing just fine in my book! ...i hear meatloaf is a good diet for puppies--
    Rooney

    ReplyDelete