Friday, July 2, 2010

Sourdough

Sourdough is important here.

The bread has wide availability... more so than anywhere else I've been. (I would have thought San Francisco would win!)

Sourdough is also a term for people who were born and live in Alaska. So, you see a lot of reference to Sourdoughs or things with "Sourdough" in their names. Now for a bit of history-- Originally, Sourdough was a term given to veteran prospectors from Alaska or Northern Canada during the gold rush. They were so called because they used sourdough to make bread in the prospecting camps. Kinda cool, huh?

Anyway, I picked John up for lunch today. We went to Peggy's, which is a diner well known for its pies. (They have like 20 pie options... a big deal if you're not (and don't have) Marie Callendar's.) We decided to have breakfast. John and I got 2 dishes and split both. We first had chicken fried steak. I'd never had it, but liked it. Their gravy was good; so, I'm thinking they might have tasty biscuits and gravy. The second dish was... get this... sourdough pancakes! Craziness!! I've never even heard of sourdough pancakes. I love sourdough bread and was super excited. ... YUCK!! They were disgusting!! They were sourdough. To begin with, they were chewy (like couldn't cut them with a fork... imagine a pancake you couldn't ply apart with a fork!!), but they were also truly sour-- not like sour cream, but like Sour Patch Kids. Ugh! It makes me quake and my stomach turn to think of it. So, I tried adding syrup, thinking the sweetness would cover it up (doesn't it always?). Instead the syrup just made the sour seem more sour. So, the verdict is DO NOT try sourdough pancakes... unless you're not hungry! When we were leaving, I noticed their marquee (the kind with the snap-on letters) had sou ugh pancakes-- read to me: So, you UGH pancakes!!

5 comments:

  1. sourdough pancakes do sound ugh. ugh, indeed.

    i think the comment thread should be about the worst food you have eaten. i will start.

    shockingly, pig brain & "stinky tofu" (literally smells like a sewer) are not anywhere near the top of my list (it's surprisingly tasty). the worst thing i have eaten is a meat-in-gelatin dish that's a fairly common cold dish in china. one of my least favorite versions of this was with pig tail as the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was that thing you kept me from eating at Jue's that one time? Was it the gelatin thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was one version of it, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have no desire to read gross things that people have eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not all sourdough pancakes are bad. I have made some versions that have turned out pretty well. But I agree, they sometimes can be a little rubbery. But don't give up on sourdough pancakes yet!

    ReplyDelete